Things I’ve Learned as of Late
Sometimes I learn things and more often than not they’re confirming things I’ve known to be true but would rather ignore. The last few weeks, I learned some wonderful things. Take a peek:
- Sharing is essential. Sure, we’ve all been told “sharing is caring;” I have to say that it was much easier to share my toys as a child than it is to share my feelings now. Maybe it’s from years of attempting to pretend that I can handle it all, or maybe it’s because I’m just attempting to be stronger than I am; regardless, it’s no longer something that comes naturally. That being said, it’s more important now than it ever has been. When you’re in a relationship, it’s easy to try to brush things under the rug and attempt to put on a smiling face, but ultimately that will fail and leave you feeling less than stellar. Share what you’re feeling; share your thoughts and listen to your partner as they share theirs.
- Cats are cutest. Okay, okay, I might have known this all along, but my little kitty is currently snuggled up on my lap and I just can’t focus on anything else. I mean… he’s basically the cutest little snuggle buddy around. His ears are so cute, oh my goodness and don’t even get me started on his little paws!
- People show they care in different ways. For instance, I show I care by doing random little things; some people don’t appreciate that, some do. It’s not always easy to know what it is you need from someone, but until you can figure that out, no one can give that to you. It’s easy to feel disappointed in a relationship that feels less than perfect, but remember that no one is perfect and ultimately, your partner will learn and grow with you, if you let them.
- Michigan winters will always be my fav. As much as the place I call “home” may change, Michigan will always be my favorite place. Who can beat these winters? What other place will ever feel as much like home as the mitten? I guess we’ll see. Regardless of where I call home, Michigan will always hold a special piece of my heart. C’mon guys, my state is literally waving at you!
- Self care is important. It’s so damn easy to allow yourself to fall on the back burner when things get crazy, but don’t let it happen! I’ve spent the majority of the last few weeks stressing out over work, school, my relationship, and other things that are beyond my control; it’s been taking its toll on me and I’ve finally decided to just let my worries go. I don’t know how it is that you relax, but for me it’s face masks, wine, and The Office. Who doesn’t want some Michael Gary Scott in their life?!
What have you guys been learning lately?
Sometimes I learn things.
For instance; this week I learned:
- Some people won’t take ‘NO’ for an answer. And quite frankly, it’s up to you to make them. I’ve learned that backing down only allows them to think that they can continue to bully their way through life and get whatever they want. It’s not fair to them and it’s not fair to those who encounter them, so when someone sassily tries to get you to bend to their will, stand tall!
- We’re basically a dream team. My guy and I are super awesome. Have I told you that yet? No? We’re buds in the best way possible. We both manage to think of the exact same abstract jokes, we’re both pretty snazzy, at least he is, and let’s just say he’s the coolest cat I know, so I can be cool through association. He has the ability to make me feel joy even on the hard days; I hope I can do that for him, too. Having a person you love as a pal is a glorious thing. Also, he’s basically bombtastic at dealing with me and all of my emotions when I’m PMSing. Way to go, babe!
- Sometimes the simplest thing can make a hurting person hurt less. On Tuesday, we had a client come in who found out his kitty was in the late stages of congestive heart failure and there was nothing we could do. It’s not easy to lose a beloved pet, so I sat beside him, held his hand and told him it would be okay while he sat staring blankly ahead as his companion passed. The next day, we got a call from him, thanking me by name. It really touched my heart in ways I had never experienced before. Although it cost me nothing more than my time, it meant a lot to him and that’s all that really matters.
- Some cats are more affectionate than dogs. I know, you probably think that this is like super, hella false, but it’s not! And if you should believe anyone, it would be the gal who works with cats LITERALLY all day long for about 45+ hours a week. Some kitties need lots of love and attention, some want to bite your face off; it’s all about balance.
- The saying “where there’s a will, there’s a way” is accurate! I don’t know about you, but sometimes I’ve got doubts floating around in this noggin’ of mine. I tell myself that there’s no way I can complete a project on time, or handle the credits I’m taking, or work full-time, write a blog, and somehow magically ace my classes (fingers crossed that the last one actually happens); but you know what?! Doubting yourself doesn’t make it any easier to succeed; if anything, it makes it easier to fail! So instead of saying I can’t do something I’m going to get real with myself while standing in front of the mirror each morning and giving myself a bit of a pep talk; give it a try if you’re feeling doubtful:
“You can do this if you want to do it. You are capable if you are willing.”
I’ve found that having a bit of faith in yourself is enough to make it through the busiest, most hectic days.
What did you guys learn this week? Leave a comment and let me know!
This week has been quite the adventure!
I’m grateful that I get to live a life in which every day gives me something to reflect upon and this past week has been no exception. So, here’s what I’ve learned:
- I learned that sometimes when you think your day is going to be crazy and stressful; it’s really not. It’s a wonderful surprise that you welcome with open arms. This week was looking like it would be crazy and filled with stress, but it wasn’t!
- Sometimes your friends kind of suck and sometimes they’re great. It’s so important to have a solid support system as you try to make your way though this crazy life. I’m lucky enough to have one gal pal who I can call at a moment’s notice and know she will always be there, or at the very least attempt to be. We make plans and we put our friendship first because it’s important to us. I mean… who else am I going to watch Grey’s Anatomy with while eating Taco Bell and drinking wine?!? I’ve got another friend who flakes out constantly. We’ve been friends for years, but lately it’s seemed like regardless of how much effort I put in, our friendship falls to the wayside. I guess that’s part of growing up?
- Bears are the most adorable creatures to ever exist. The boyf sent me like 6 pictures of little snuggly bears before work one day. It brightened my entire day!
- I’m not a good person to come to if you want sympathy for procrastinating. I’ve got a simple solution; don’t do it! I’ve got to learn to be a bit more chill about it, especially with the boyf. He’s a bit of a procrastinator. Don’t deny it, you are!! But I love him anyway, so it is what it is. He’s still the babest babe of all babes.
- I love listening to oldies and calming tunes while I’m writing. I need the noise and when I can’t make it out to a cafe or something to get some writing done, music helps. You know what else helps?! Writing crap down on random scrap pieces of paper while I’m working. I came up with some awesome ideas in the middle of the work day, so I scribbled them down and… well… they ended up in the wash so it didn’t really help much that time, but I’m sure it will someday!
We have a brand new segment to add to this snazzy little blog here. Each Friday I’m going to write up a little list and tell you fine folks what I’ve learned this week so keep an eye out!
Here’s this week!
- I learned how to count to 10 in Finnish. I’ve been toying with the idea of learning Finnish for some time now and I’ve finally decided to just do it. I’ve been studying the same flashcards all week because I want to have these words down pat. Ask me how you say 4, I dare ya! Edited to add: my guy thinks I sound more Japanese than Finnish when I try to pronounce Finnish words… I’ll get there eventually.
- I learned that sometimes it’s best to cut some friends off. Sure, I might have been friends with him for about 4 years, but if the second he realizes you’re no longer married, the entirety of the friendship changes, drop that bad boy. It is what it is and I’m better off for it. I think it’s unsafe to have friends that want to be more than that, especially when you’re involved with someone else and you’ve spelled that out for them.
- I learned that even the smallest creatures can fill your heart with happiness and that you don’t need to know them very long before they’ve nestled into your heart. I met a little kitten named Sweet Pea; she lived for 3 weeks and came to us early Tuesday morning in the midst of failure. Her owner relinquished her to us because she didn’t want to pay for care, so I instantly told her I would take her. We nursed her for a few hours and prayed that she would make it. I spent 5 hours with her and she passed quickly and suddenly. My heart hurts.
- While I can work basically anywhere, I get the best writing done in a noisy place with a pen and pad of paper. I’ve deduced that, if I’m having a hard time writing or I’m feeling stuck, I need a change of scenery and to actually physically write to get the words flowing.
- Being apart from someone you love is hard and some days all you want are some snuggs.
The more you know!